Cynthia and Beatrice Swol Scholarship in Physiology and Neurobiology
The PNB Department will award a qualified applicant who meet the eligibility criteria listed below. Awards will be up to $2,500 / year, and for juniors they are renewable for a second year contingent upon satisfactory performance.
Cynthia Swol received her BS in 1969 at UConn’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Child Development and Family Relations. She was the first in her family to attain a college education. Through her work study experience with a faculty mentor in a laboratory in Physiology and Neurobiology, she acquired invaluable work skills that were critical for her successful career as a research technician at a major university. Cynthia and her mother Beatrice, who worked for many years at UConn, have made a generous gift to provide scholarships to students in Physiology and Neurobiology in appreciation of the education Cynthia received from UConn and with the hope that the recipients would in turn become generous donors to the University after attaining their degrees and becoming established in their careers, thereby helping future generations in their academic aspirations.
1. Enrolled full time as a major in Physiology and Neurobiology
2. Must be a junior or senior and must have been a student at the Storrs campus for at least two semesters
3. Must be a first generation college student in the family
4. Demonstrate a desire to pursue an advanced degree in biological sciences or medicine
How to apply:
Email to PNB.email@example.com by February 26, 2021, a single pdf file containing items 1-4 of the following and have the recommendation letter emailed separately and directly to the same address.
1. Your career aspirations (no more than 150 words)
2. A description of your experience as a first time college student in your family (no more than 350 words)
3. How you will benefit from the scholarship (no more than 150 words)
4. An unofficial transcript
5. One letter of recommendation from a faculty at UConn
Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee, and selected candidates will be invited for an interview during the week of March 15. The successful applicant will be notified shortly thereafter.
Questions regarding the award or application process may also be sent to PNB.firstname.lastname@example.org